If you’re going for casual modern decor for your home and don’t want to break the bank, there’s no better place to start than IKEA. I’ve rounded up my 10 favorite pieces to decorate your home in a laid-back modern style, with pieces ranging from a $10 etched carafe to a $900 tufted leather sofa.
1. SELJE Nightstand ($29.99) – The SELJE nightstand is shockingly cheap considering how incredibly functional and good-looking it is. With an opening in the back as well as another on the drawer front, this nightstand makes it super easy to charge your devices without unsightly cords. At only $30, the SELJE nightstand – also available in bright blue – is truly a steal for such an attractive and necessary piece of furniture.
2. STOCKHOLM Carafe ($9.99) – I’m just crazy about the STOCKHOLM carafe. The sleek glass carafe – made by skilled craftsmen – features delicate decoration around the middle which not only looks beautiful but also improves grip and helps prevent visible fingerprints. Use the carafe to improve your table presentation when serving your guests water, wine or cocktails.
3. TUVBRÄCKA Duvet cover and pillowcases ($19.99 to $39.99) – With it’s clean lines, black-and-white color scheme and hidden snaps, the TUVBRÄCKA duvet cover and pillowcase set is probably my favorite bedding option from IKEA.
4. MANDAL Bed frame with storage ($349 to $399) – The MANDAL bed frame, available in full and queen size, is perfect for a casual modern look with its birch wood exterior, white drawers and platform construction. For a bed that also includes storage, the MANDAL is an absolute steal with an under-$400 price tag.
5. NOLMYRA Easy chair ($39.99) – Considering it costs only $40, the modern NOLMYRA easy chair is a great seating option for those on a tight budget. The chair is extremely light and very comfy as it simply consists of a birch and steel frame with a soft mesh cover.
6. STOCKHOLM Table lamp ($119) – Although this lamp is rather expensive in comparison to IKEA’s other table lamps, the STOCKHOLM lamp is worth the money. With it’s clear etched glass base and contrasting shade, this 24″ lamp is a real stunner and would look great with just about any decor.
7. BLOMSTER Candle holders [(set of three) ($14.99) – The white BLOMSTER candle holder set adds a simple decorative touch to any room. The set, which also comes in clear glass, can be completed using the GLIMMA candles in metal cups ($5.99).
8. MELLTORP / REIDAR Table with four chairs ($261) – The MELLTORP table with REIDAR chairs is one of the best looking dining sets IKEA offers. The bright yellow chairs would add a lovely pop of color to any dining room or breakfast nook, especially against the stark white of the table. The chairs, which are made of aluminum, are also perfect for using outdoors.
9. KARLSTAD Tufted leather sofa ($899) with KARLSTAD Aluminum legs ($20) – For a leather sofa for under $1,000, it’s hard to beat IKEA’s white KARLSTAD tufted sofa (also available in black and dark brown). The leather, which is both soft and durable, looks amazing on the contemporary tufted cushions a la the classic Florence Knoll sofa.
10. MEJLBY Flatwoven rug ($79.99) – Featuring a simple yet modern blue and red striped pattern, the MEJLBY rug is ideal for bringing bold colors into any living space, especially if contrasted against white furniture (see the KARLSTAD white tufted leather sofa above).