While many people think modernist design revolves around über-expensive furniture, it really doesn’t have to. I’ve rounded up a number of beautiful options from IKEA that can help you achieve the stark modern decor you want without the exorbitant price tag.
1. DOCKSTA Table ($199) – The DOCKSTA table is a godsend to anyone going for a high-end look but doesn’t want to spend an arm and a leg to achieve it. It’s a virtual replica of the iconic Saarinen dining table from Knoll, which costs more than 10 times as much as IKEA’s version. Its straightforward yet inventive design and clean white exterior make it ideal for attaining a modernist aesthetic.
2. KARLSTAD Sofa and chaise lounge ($849) – Structured yet simple, the KARLSTAD sofa and chaise lounge combination looks especially gorgeous in the woven Isunda gray cover. Not only does the mottled grey serve as a lovely neutral (as an alternative to black and white), but it’s just dark enough to hide some indiscretions.
3. EIVOR Throw ($19.99) – A perfect accent on any sofa or bed, the simple design of the EIVOR woven throw truly makes it a winner. Use this throw to unify a color scheme or place it against a bright sofa for a nice contrast.
4. FALSTER Reclining outdoor chair ($99) – As the best-looking outdoor lounge chair offered by IKEA, the FALSTER recliner is beautifully designed and constructed of lightweight aluminum. Although it’s not as cheap as you might be used to, this is a quality chair both in terms of design and durability.
5. BERNHARD Leather dining chair ($149) – Sleek and cushioned, the BERNHARD is one of IKEA’s most versatile dining chairs. The soft leather looks gorgeous in white and is far easier to clean than fabric. The shiny triangular legs only add to the chair’s already impeccable design.
6. SÄVERN Soap dispenser ($16.99) – As someone who has searched high and low for the best looking soap dispenser (at a reasonable price, of course), the SÄVERN is it. Incredible design, no drips, no rust, easy to clean – this dispenser has it all and would look absolutely perfect in a minimalist bathroom.
7. BAGGÖN Hanging umbrella ($69) – With its sleek steel construction and large white shade, this umbrella is one of IKEA’s best value items. A handy crank will open and close the umbrella and the entire piece is capable of folding up quite small. Place this beauty in your backyard to instantly upgrade your al fresco dining experience.
8. SILLERUP Rug ($119) – Timeless and graphic, this black and white low pile rug is an incredible value at just over $100. This piece would serve as a wonderful focal element in any living room, adding an exciting new dynamic to the space.